"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Wednesday, June 27, 2007
 
Adventures With Duct Tape
Every guy who can lay legitimate claim to Guy-Hood has experience with God’s gift to handymen everywhere – commonly referred to as Duct Tape. It has many uses, as detailed by the link. I’ve made extensive use of Duct Tape for various uses both common and, well, not so common. Basically, I believe in the following Article of Duct Tape:
If it cannot be fixed with Duct Tape, it cannot be fixed.
For the past six months or so, the Service Engine Soon light has been on in my Mustang. Like most guys, when it came on I popped the hood and made sure the engine was still in place. It was. I then checked the owner’s manual and found out that, unless the light was blinking (which it wasn’t) I could continue to drive the car as normal. The illuminated light meant the evaporation line on the fuel system wasn’t totally sealed. Taking this to mean my car was in no danger of spontaneously combusting, I continued on my merry way – though not so merry because of the constant yellow glow emanating from my dashboard.

Emissions inspection time came, and after taking my car to be serviced I found that the top gasket on the gas tank was no longer sealing properly. While the evaporation line was a quick and cheap fix (a 3 cent clamp), the gas tank gasket was another story entirely – and much more expensive to boot. Both issues had to be resolved – in one way or another – before the emissions test could be passed.

The evaporation line was fixed with a cheap clamp, and I was at a loss as to how to fix the gasket problem – until I found a roll of duct tape sliding around in the trunk. I took several small strips of duct tape, placed them over and around the damaged gasket and voila! the gas tank was sealed. Emissions test passed with flying colors.

So, dear reader, there you have it – yet another use for Duct Tape. It’s kinda like The Force. It has a dark side and a light side – and it holds everything together.

Here endeth the lesson.
Comments:
I own 16 different colors of duct tape-

Trust me, women use it too.

*smirk*
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple