"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Wednesday, March 21, 2007
 
The Long Voyage Home
I really don’t keep up this blog like I should, but lately I get the feeling nobody reads it but me. I guess that gives me the right to write what I want when I want and for whom I want. But I digress.

Like a few thousand traveling Americans, I was stranded in northern Florida late last week. Seems that the Northeast had a little dusting of snow which managed to throw the entire airline industry into convulsions of panic. In days past such a hiccup would not have taken longer than a day to iron out, but with modern prognosticators and high fuel costs having whittled the US Airways fleet down to the point where every flight is packed any bump in the system causes a tidal wave of consequences.

So I got to sit around in Jacksonville – sometimes in a hotel room, sometimes at the terminal, most time spent in a Panera. After being told for the umpteenth time that my flight would again be cancelled and I would be booked on yet another hypothetical flight at a time and date to be determined, I decided to make use of the only transportation means under my control.

I got in my rented Grand Prix – yes I had already turned the Mustang in prior to the first cancelled flight – and drove the 730 miles by myself. In hindsight, I probably could’ve pulled up to the curb at Jacksonville Airport and charged three other people $300 a piece to go with me, but there is something to be said for solitude.

I don’t know when we became so risk averse in this country. We now put all our faith in weather forecasts which are – by the forecasters own admission – a bet guess. Traveling is a risk no matter how long you look at the sky and try to figure out whether or not you’ll get rained on.

That said, from Jacksonville to DC the weather was downright gorgeous. It was a long drive, but thank God for an Ipod and Audiobooks.

Here endeth the lesson.

Personal note: As I said earlier I don’t really know how many people read this blog. I’m really only sure about one and I haven’t seen that particular reader around these parts for quite some time. I hope you’re well, and yes I do miss your wit and wisdom. Don’t stay away too long.
Comments:
I love road trips, especially alone. I know I'm weird, but I don't mind being a bit off.

I've driven across this country more times than I can count, and never done it with another person.

Grand adventures.

I love the Florida freeways. I'd love to know which way you drove, what freeways.

Jacksonville. I've been there. In 87 and 90.

I love the air. The windows down. Loud music. I love driving at night, in the din, in the quiet.

I never listen to the weather reports. I'm an old fuddy duddy.

I'm glad you made it back okay-
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple