"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Monday, September 11, 2006
 
Remembering Linda M. George

In the small town of Holden, Massachusetts, there is a headstone in Grove Cemetery which contains the following simple inscription:

Linda George – Daughter, Fiancée

Along with her name is the date of her birth, and the date of her death – September 11, 2001.

Linda Mae George was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11 on that Tuesday morning in September. She was part of a contingent from TJ Maxx headed from Boston to Los Angeles on a buying trip. I’m sure there were a million things going through her mind as she prepared for this trip – only a few of which had anything to do with the fact she was traveling across the country.

You see, Linda was due to be married to her fiancé, Jeff Pereira within the month. Her whole life lay before her.

I never got the chance to meet Linda, but from what I have gathered about her, I know she’d be someone I’d like to know. In 1992, she graduated from St. Peter Marian High School in Worcester, Mass and continued on to Providence College where she graduated in 1996.

Of all the things I learned about Linda, the fact that she played college rugby impressed me the most. Rugby is the equivalent of American Football without the benefit of pads or helmets. People who play that sport – especially at the collegiate level – have to be strong, quick, and just a little crazy. People seem to remember Linda for the way she played rugby – and that says a lot about the love she had for the game. To honor her legacy, a scholarship fund has been established at St. Peter Marian High School in her name.

Linda was only one of the 2,996 people lost to this nation on that Tuesday morning in September 2001. She, like all the others, had hopes, dreams, wishes, and loved ones. Those who knew her personally and professionally describe her as the friend everyone wants to have once in their lifetime.

The world is a smaller place without people like Linda May George.

Remember.


Comments:
Thank you for the chance to get to know Linda better. I agree with you on the Rugby physicality and mentality, it speaks volumes about the person. Linda's smile is beautiful, and she appears as someone I would have liked to get to know. I will be keeping her parents, and her fiancee in my thoughts and prayers, as well as all those who loved her.
Rest in Peace Linda,
Blessings,
Auntie Lyn
 
That was wonderful. You truly honored her memory.
 
Thank you for sharing Linda with us. Wonderful tribute.
 
Thank you for helping us to know Linda better. I will keep her in my thoughts.
 
I am deeply touched by all of these tributes.

I proudly honored Jay Robert Magazine on my blog.

Cindi
 
We'll never forget.
 
Always in our Hearts.

I was honoured to write a tribute to Saranya Srinuan on my blog.
 
Another wonderful tribute.
I remembered Leonard Anthony White on my blog.
 
So sad. Breaks my heart.

mines up too. It's just so awful, we lost so many with such character!
 
She sounds like a really fun person. Beautiful tribute.

Mine is at http://jedisue.blogspot.com
 
what a nice tribute..
 
Wonderful tribute. Thank you.
 
Linda sounds absolutely wonderful! Thank you for sharing her with us.
 
I am taking a journey through the tributes - and yours has been a wonderful stop along the way. Thank you!
 
Your tribute to Linda betrays her life exceptionally well and she seemed like a very special person. Thank you.
 
What an incredibly sad story. To think of all she had ahead of her. Thank you for sharing. I am honoring Teresa Martin today.
 
Thanks for writing about Linda. She sounds like a great girl!
 
Nice memorial.
 
Wonderful Tribute!
Thank you.
These are sad and hard to read....
I am honored to be a part of this project.
Mine is posted also...

The 2996 link is down. I have a new link on my site to view the participants.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort,
but where he stands at times of challenge
and controversy. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bless you...
 
Thank you - my tribute can be found at http://tagteam_of_2_jerzydevils.blogspot.com/
 
Your tribute is a beautiful celebration of life. Thanks for sharing.

Jonathon's Closet remembers Robert Levine.
 
Your tribute is a beautiful celebration of life. Thanks for sharing.

Jonathon's Closet remembers Robert Levine.
 
What a lovely tribute! Thank you for participating. These people are no longer just a name to us anymore.

Mine's up.
 
I didn't know about this joint tribute until it was too late but I did my own tribute to Linda, as she shared my name and I live in Worcester England.

Yours is a very fitting memory of a lovely young woman.

You might like to read my tribute, memories of the day and how the event effected my own life at

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/


Linda George.
 
Wonderful tribute to Linda. Thanks for sharing this with us


I remember Simon Weiser
 
17 September.

Thank you for writing a heartfelt memorial for Linda George. So many perished and the wake of pain that family and friends feel has not diminished.

I remember Marion Britton.

I will NEVER FORGET.
 
Other differences between American football and rugby are that in rugby you pass behind you and there are scrums.
 
To the family and friends of Linda M. George,

I would just like to extend my thoughts and prayers to all those who were touched by knowing Linda. I never met her, but I had the honor of reading her name at this year's ceremony. I was extremely proud to do so and I feel this will forever connect us.

Sincerely,
John Darcy Sq-18 F.D.N.Y.
 
Linda was my youngest daughter and I can't tell you how your tribute touched me. Linda was a special child and a wonderful woman. I am so proud of her and not surprised by how she touched so many lives
 
Visited Ground Zero on May 29th for the first time and was so very touched by everything. I am from Canada an was on a trip with some family to New York. Everyone wanted to go visit the site, has I walked up to the site of the memorial pool and placed my hand on it, I looked down and the name my hand was resting on was Linda M George, this sure bought a tear and a shiver. I am also a George, I will never forget this experience or this special lady who I am sure drew me to her name on Saturday. I am still in awe , we have spoken her name many times over the last few days. My God Bless you all. Lorraine M George
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple