"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, September 01, 2006
 
John Mayer's Slacker Song
I'm not much of a music critic. Some music I like. Some music I don't. Some music I just can't stand. I admire musicians who write their own stuff and are able to perform it live without the benefit of technology that can make Pee Wee Herman sound like Pavorotti.

So, when it comes to John Mayer, I've been fairly impressed with the stuff he's put out since he came on the music scene in 2003. He's won two Grammys, justifiably, for Your Body Is A Wonderland and Daughters. Both songs are top notch and well done.

His latest release, Waiting On The World To Change, is cut from the same cloth as his previous work. I've heard it played on most of the Top 40 stations I'm exposed to. Unlike most people (in my experience anyway) I pay attention to lyrics. After listening to Waiting On The World To Change I came to the conclusion this song was about the Slacker Generation. Here's a sample of what Mayer sings about:

It's hard to beat the system
when we're standing at a distance
so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change.

It's not that we don't care,
we just know that the fight ain't fair

so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

and we're still waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
one day our generation
is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change
I purposely didn't quote the political references in the song - that's not what my post is about - today anyway. My point is pretty simple: People who sit around waiting for the world to change are usually passed up by people who are changing the world.

Memo to John: Life isn't fair. There is no such thing as a level playing field. One would think after a few years in the cut-throat business world that is pop music, you would have learned that by now. The world doesn't reward mediocrity in the same way the public school system does. If, as you say, you and all your friends keep waiting on the world to change hoping it will offer you better opportunities than you currently see, I'm afraid your generation's chance to "rule the population" will come and go with you not in a position to Carpe Diem. Sorry if you're a little light on your Latin. Go look it up.

I'm not much older than John Mayer, but I'm definitely not going to watch the world go by hoping I get an opportunity to make a difference. Attitude creates opportunity.

Here endeth the lesson.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple