"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, June 30, 2006
 
Space Shuttle Discovery (STS-121) Go For Lauch
UPDATE: We can fly into space, but we still can't control the weather. Next launch attempt is July 4, 2006 at 3:26 pm Eastern. Stay tuned.

The news cycle is a fickle thing. Between SCOTUS rulings, Britney's Bare Boobs, and the World Cup, its hard to keep track of much else.

For those of you overwhelmed by the different storylines of the day, let me point you to one you may have missed. Tomorrow - July 1, 2006 - will mark America's return to space on the wings of the Space Shuttle Discovery.

For most of us, myself included, space travel has been a fact of life. Its something we've become accustomed to - so much so that one television network once declared a trip to the moon to be about as exciting to cover as a bus ride to Pittsburgh.

Missions like Apollo 13, Challenger, and Columbia remind us that space travel is indeed rocket science and those brave men and women who undertake these missions are indeed pioneers on the final frontier. I admire them greatly and hope someday soon they will be permitted to do more than just orbit the earth. I long to see them walk again on the moon and beyond - to truly go where no one has gone before.

So tomorrow, weather permitting, at 3:48.37 Eastern Daylight Time (gotta love the time calculated down to the second) seven astronauts will once again "slip the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God."

Good luck, and Godspeed to the astronauts of the Space Shuttle Discovery STS-121.

Comments:
I was born the day the men landed on the moon for the first time. For some reason, I have always felt a link with space exploration. Its always fascinated me and it has always been of great intrest to me.

I met Neil Armstrong, for the first time when I was a little girl, at space camp. I felt like I was shaking hands with history. I was in awe.

When I met him again as a young adult, I was more verbal and was able to actually talk to him rather than gawk.

I remember watching the loss of Challenger and the utter shock and horror of that experience. Though I knew not a one of them, the loss of their lives was an altering experience for me.

Its been interesting for me to see the changes our country has made and the way these events have effected us.

I am grateful for these brave men and women. Who do these incredible things, that let us tap into their experiences.

Welcome home...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple