"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
 
United 93 - A Review Of The Experience
I don’t do many movie reviews – probably for the simple reason it takes nearly an Act of Congress for me to get time away from life to actually go and spend a few hours in a dark room watching a large screen.

For United 93 I made the time.

For me, the film re-defined the term intense. It was like watching the first 20 some minutes of Saving Private Ryan. The story is told in real time. You sit and watch the events of that Tuesday morning in September. You know how the story ends.

No corners are cut in the telling of this story. Most, if not all, sides of the conflict are explored – from the FAA’s reaction to the heart wrenching realization that the most powerful military on the face of the earth can do nothing but sit and watch the events unfold on CNN like the rest of America.

In the end it all came down to a group of ordinary Americans making the decision to fight back.

The word "No" is a very powerful term in the English language. People say it every day, some more so than others. When "No" is said by a unified group of people seeking to throw off the oppression of others, it becomes even more powerful.

Americans have done a lot of that in their short history. In 1776, 56 men came together in Philadelphia and collectively told the English King George "No." They pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor in the hopes they might bestow the blessings of liberty upon themselves and their posterity. They banded together in Independence Hall to fight what they considered to be worth dying for.

225 years later, Americans again gathered together (not far from Philadelphia) to fight this same battle – this time in the skies over Ohio and Pennsylvania. They gathered in the aft section of an aircraft whose pilot was intent on destroying more of this great nation. They stood up to the Islamofacist Murdering Thugs and said "No." Not on our plane. Not on our watch. They voted. They took a stand, defended this nation – giving the last full measure of devotion not far from the battlefields of the last war waged upon the soil of the Continental United States.

I watched this film and every minute reminded me of one basic fact: I am still angry. Angry at the thugs who came into my country, killed my countrymen, and destroyed part of my heritage. Angry at those who would attempt to excuse such behavior and appease those who want to do more of it.

United 93 should be required viewing for all Americans. It is not a film to be viewed with lightness of heart. It is a film to be experienced, and remembered.

Remember.

Here endeth the lesson.
Comments:
I have been debating or not to see the film, Saving Private Ryan was too much for me since my grandfather served in the war.. I think this one may be too much also.
 
Thank you for the movie review.

I think movies as well as music and other art forms, have such a powerful voice. I am planning to seeing it.

I understand about Anger. Your words echo my thoughts and feelings. I also have no patinece for those who don't want to address it, and would choose to not fight the war on "terror".

Life is a precious gift.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple