"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Monday, August 01, 2005
 
Weekend Re-cap
After taking the Ravishing Mrs. Cordeiro and my son Corderinho to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (all in all a pretty good flick), we went to Red Robin for dinner. On several of the TV screens in the restaurant, ESPN was playing what it called "Great American Events". Being a good American, my interest piqued. Ok, maybe that's not completely truthful. I had to wait for a table and had nothing better to do.

Remember, this is a Saturday night. One would think the main ESPN channel would be broadcasting baseball or some other sport. Nope. Much to my (and the rest of the restaurant patron's) amusement we were treated to the International Federation of Competitive Eating's US Open.

No, I am not kidding. I can't make this stuff up.

The competition was based on a three course meal made up of
* Italian Salad (served in 2 pound plates - you had to put away two of these to make it to the next round)
* Potato Skins (served on 4 pound plates - again quantity of two if you wanted to proceed)
* And finally and Appetizer tray - roughly six pounds.

To the chagrin of fat guys everywhere, the US Open was won by a skinny Asian guy.

And the corporate sponsor? I'll let you guess. You only get one guess.

OK, give up? (Or cheat by visiting the provided link?)

Alka Seltzer.

This, dear readers, was quality comic relief on television.
Comments:
So was the remake better than the first one.. I just think that Johnny Depp looks way creepier than Gene Wilder did and what is with the voice?? I haven't seen it yet, but still debating whether or not to go..
 
I thought you had dropped off the planet! Its good to know there is a heartbeat!

Yes, comic relief indeed.
 
Depp did his own thing with Willy Wonka. I don't know how he did the voice, but it fit the character pretty well. I'd recommend it as 2.5 stars out of 4.
 
Lisa -

The news of my demise has been highly exaggerated ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple