"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Tuesday, July 05, 2005
 
Lesser Life Forms
In my life's experience, I have come to know the truthfulness of a phrase penned by George Orwell in his book Animal Farm:

All animals are created equal. Some animals are created more equal than others.
It is so with people. Some people are just better people than others. Some are more honorable. Some have a better sense of duty and responsibility.

There are professions that are held in higher esteem than others. For example, the trauma surgeon is held in higher esteem than is the used car salesman. Here in the US, used car salesmen rate just above lawyers and members of congress. While the Lord is not a respecter of persons, human beings are - and I count myself as a human being - for now anyway.

On my scale of humanity, the rating slides from used car salesmen to members of congress to lawyers to (as defined in the SOTR Glossary) Waste Of Skin And Breathable Air (WOSABA) to finally Miserable Vomitous Mass (MVM). I was satisfied with this Sliding Scale of Humanity up until this past week.

I have now discovered a Lesser Life Form than even a MVM. I did not think it was possible. This form of life shall be defined as a "Contractor".

In the ongoing saga of the Cordeiro Manor Remodel, we have been plagued with delays and cost over-runs. This is to be expected. I was prepared to deal with a one month delay and a cost over-run of +/- 20%. I know business. These things happen.

Well, last week the Contractor announced he was leaving the partnership he was in at the start of the Cordeiro Manor Remodel. He swore upon all that is holy (evidently to him this is not very much) that our job would be finished. "Don't worry," he said. "I give you my word it will be finished."

TOP GUN COUGH. (If you don't know what that is, go watch the movie - the unedited version.)

Turns out the Contractor owes his workers about 25 Large in back pay. Some, most, and possibly all the materials (read toilets, vanities, lighting, etc) have been neither ordered nor received. Count that as another 5 Large.

So I've got workers who won't work, and a house - 3/4 of which I can't use - and the word of a Contractor that "everything will work out". If I actually believed him - of course now my calls aren't returned - things might be different.

I'm normally a very nice, easy going, and understanding guy. I don't anger easily. I have a thick skin and can deal with hardship.

But, you see, the Ravishing Mrs. Cordeiro has put her heart and soul (and almost a year of her life) into planning for this Remodel. In a few weeks we will have family coming from all over the country to witness the baptism of Corderinho. While the significance of this event will overcome any terrestrial concerns we may have at that time, the fact remains we will have no house to show our respective families.

And that, dear reader, is where the Contractor has catapulted himself past the stage of WOSABA, blown right by the sign marking MVM, and planted himself squarely on the tail end of my Sliding Scale of Humanity.

You see, he made my beautiful bride, the Ravishing Mrs. Cordeiro, cry.

And for that there is no forgiveness. Perhaps from the Lord, but not from me.

I am now angry. Very angry. For the Contractor, this is not a good thing.

Stay tuned.
Comments:
I would be ticked...I sure hope he keeps his word..
 
Hooooooboy. Someone in is BIG DAMNED TROUBLE.

Remember. All I ask is pizza. And maybe biscotti. ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple