"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Thursday, April 28, 2005
 
Things you find when cleaning out the basement
In the ongoing saga of the Cordeiro Manor remodel, we are in the process of moving all of the stored (junk) basement items to the upstairs playroom to make room for the contractor to come in, tear out the yellow plywood walls and bring the basement into the 21st Century.

In the process, I ran across some old stuff, some of it more interesting than others. Most of it is stuff I don't know why I keep, perhaps its just because I never get around to throwing it out. For example:

Love Letters: I don't know why I keep them, perhaps its a window on my past I don't want to discard. Seems like as good a reason as any. Years ago someone wrote some remarks to be given at the commencement ceremony at some university. It was then put to some music and entitled Sunscreen. I like most of the advice given, but the following suits my reason for keeping Love Letters around:

Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements.
Maybe that's as good a reason as any.

Strange insights into long dead relatives: I found my old baby book - you know, one of those detailing your kid's first teeth, words, steps, etc. Well, inside it were the obligatory pictures along with a slip of small notepad paper that fluttered out. Turns out it was my paternal Grandmother Cordeiro's notes on the will of some long dead uncle. She wrote down how much each person got. Uncle JJ died in 1951. He left 1 Large to most people on the list. 3 Large to some others, and 5 Large to a select few. Toward the end of the list Grandma Cordeiro noted that he left 100 Large to the City of Boulder, Colorado for the construction of a pool. I did some research and 100 Large in 1951 translates to just over 635 Large today.

Uncle JJ, that must be some pool.

After a conversation with my father, The Elder Cordeiro, turns out that Uncle JJ had a special "affinity" for a specific nurse at the hospice (run by the City of Boulder) where he spent his last days. He left all that money to Boulder at her "request", resulting in a rather large family "scandal".

Uncle JJ, that must have been some nurse.

Heh. The things you find when cleaning out the basement.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple