"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Thursday, March 31, 2005
 
Terri Schiavo
According to CNN Radio, Terri Schiavo passed away this morning. Cause of death was a fatal dose of Michael Schiavo.

The past 14 days or so have featured nearly wall to wall coverage of the pending death of Terri Schiavo. The MSM has done its best to highlight the evident schism with in the conservative movement over the issue of whose decision it should be to terminate life sustaining care of another human being.

The public opinion polls suggest the American people are turned off by the attempts of the various branches of government interfering in what should be a family decision. In my humble opinion, most people (rightly or wrongly) just want this story to go away. Michael Schiavo has wanted this issue to go away for nearly 15 years.

Here's my take as to why people are so sensitive about this issue. It brings front and center the reality of our mortality, and especially the mortality of those whom we love and are responsible for. We know that, most likely, some day we will have to make a life or death decision for a loved one. Its not something we like to dwell on.

The issue is, dear reader, how we deal with deal is at least as important as how we deal with life. How we treat the needy and helpless among us does not go unnoticed.

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. - Matthew 25:40
Was not Terri Schiavo one of the least of us? What does that say about us?

I have a few things to say to Michael Schiavo, for I shall not write about him again. It wasn't enough for you to get rid of your inconvenient wife. You wouldn't even let her parents be with her at the moment of her passing. You, sir, have blown right past the Waste Of Skin And Breathable Air moniker, and catapulted yourself right over the Miserable Vomitous Mass stage. I have no term vile enough to describe you - none that I would feel comfortable publishing anyway.

Enjoy your "freedom", sir. You'll be surprised how much this will weigh on you.

Now I have one thing to say to the future spouses of my two beautiful children, here after referred to as Corderinho and Corderinha.

Dear Spouses, if you ever do anything remotely similar to my child - whose health and well being I shall entrust to you - he or she will find themselves suddenly and irreversibly single.

Here endeth the lesson.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple