"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, November 05, 2004
 
Here's Your Sign - Appendix
Seems that about 85 Boulder High School Students have locked themselves up in the school library until GOP leaders personally come out to "reassure" them.

We want them to reassure us that our fears are misguided and that the government is doing everything in its power to prevent our futures from being destroyed
- Brian Martens, Boulder HS Class of 2005

Memo to Mr. Martens:

Perhaps if you actually read and understood the concepts, policies, and underpinnings of the election this past Tuesday, you'd realize the folly of what you're doing. You want someone to come out and reassure you that your future is not being destroyed.

Brian, you make your future. The man sitting in the Oval Office does not. I was once like you - a high school student in Colorado. I listened to the doomsayers of that era - the same ones who said Reagan would start a nuclear war and put our economy in the toilet - in that order. I remember learning about how the national debt would ruin my life and rob me of any possibility of prosperity. And yes, just after I graduated from that Colorado high school, my country went to war amid the chorus of detractors claiming body bags would come back by the hundreds of thousands and my generation would be decimated.

Newsflash - I survived, I prospered. All this despite the best efforts of those who told me I would fail.

So, my young friend, go forth from Boulder and prosper. You'll find the world outside the city limits is far better than you are led to believe. Today, I'm sorry to say, you don't get your sign. You have a lot to learn, mostly because of what the people who educate and influence you have done a piss poor job.

It is to them collectively, and James Vacca (Boulder High School Teacher) specifically, that I direct the following commentary. Mr. Vacca made the following statement:

In an age where narcissistic college students riot in an inarticulate drunken stupor, you have students here at Boulder High School, principled, thoughtful and yet scared of four more years of pre-emptive war, the Patriot Act and an increase in militarism at school through the No Child Left Behind Act.
Mr. Vacca, you are truly a disgrace to the teaching profession. You have done little but regurgitate the union thug democratic party talking points given to you by the NEA or NFT. You do not understand the concept of pre-emptive war, nor have you read or do you understand the Patriot Act. I suggest you stop indoctrinating your students to your left-wing world view and get back to teaching them. That is after all your duty as an educator. Here's your sign.

Here endeth the lesson.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple