"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Thursday, August 19, 2004
 
Strings vs. Brass
I must first admit that I have not watched much of the wall to wall, round the clock, six station NBC coverage of the Athens Games. Frankly, I don't have the time, and watching Badmitton is a sure fire cure for insomnia if ever there was one.

That said, I did catch a medals ceremony yesterday. I'm not sure who won, but she is an American, and thus the Star Spangled Banner was played for the crowd - much to the chagrin of French competitors everywhere.

Now, I'm not much of a music officionado, but of one thing I'm certain. Whatever arrangement they are playing in Athens is the most sissified version of the Star Spangled Banner I've ever heard. We are a proud musical nation forged in the tradition of John Philip Souza. The Star Spangled Banner is not meant to be played by a string orchestra in soft, soothing tones. It is meant to be performed by brass bands - the more horns the better - accompanied by booming bass drums and crashing cymbals. It brings old men to their feet and brings tears to the eyes of men and women from sea to shining sea.

The arrangement played in Greece these days can barely keep people awake.

Somebody find this musical arranger and cram the string section into an appropriate spot.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple