"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
 
2,981
Every afternoon this week I take a walk in downtown Manhattan. The "E" Subway line dead ends at the World Trade Center site. I catch that line a few blocks from my hotel in Manhattan's Upper East Side. My professional duties this week require me to work from an office just north of Battery Park, so I walk a few blocks from the WTC.

(Side note for those of your familiar with the New York City subway system. Yes, I know I could catch the 4 or 5 subway and end up at the Bowling Green station. Bear with me.)

I take this walk every day that I am here because it reminds me of the primary reason this election is so important. It reminds me that in the early morning hours of September 11, 2001, 19 Muslim nutcases attacked my country and killed 2,981 of my country men. Yesterday, America's Mayor for Life, the Honorable Rudy Guilanni and Arizona's Senior Senator John McCain went to great lengths to remind the American people of the events of that day. That is as it should be.

We need to remember.

On Monday, as I made my way past the WTC site, I was snagged by a reporter from the Boston area's PBS station. He asked me about my feelings when I look at the WTC site. My answer to him was simple:

I am still angry.

Evidently this was not the type of response he'd been getting during his stay at Ground Zero. The rest of the "interview" was pretty much status quo. I'm sure the 6 people who watch PBS in Boston will find it amusing.

There are those (including one guy at the WTC today who looked more lost than anything else) who believe any mention of the events of September 11th are inappropriate - especially on the political stage. What else, if I may be so bold, are we to base our votes on?

There is one man who has stood unwaveringly against those who have, and if left unchecked would, cause harm to America and her people. There is another man who has taken every possible position regarding the ongoing war on terrorism. The choice to me is clear.

I want somebody sitting in that chair prepared to make the tough (and not always popular) decisions regarding the security of my country. I don't want him to worry about what other nations will think, say, or do in response. I don't want him to take a poll. I want him to make a decision, and stick to it. Lurch is incapable of such decisive action.

I mean, seriously folks, who can take seriously a man who windsurfs in flowery spandex?

Here endeth the lesson.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple