"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Wednesday, April 14, 2004
 
On Apologies, Mistakes, and Responsibilities:

Like many Americans, I watched W’s press conference last night. I watched to see my president tell his story, field questions from an obviously hostile media, and well, I’ll be honest here, I’d seen the Law & Order episode on TNT at least three times.

Jack McCoy would be my kind of Attorney General.

But I digress.

I wanted to comment on the press conference for one reason. I saw in W last night something I have been seeking for quite some time. I saw a glimpse of the man who took to the pile of rubble that was the WTC complex in New York City with a bull horn in his hand and his arm around a fireman. I saw a glimpse of the man who unequivocally declared that the people “who knocked these buildings down are going to hear from all of us real soon.” I saw a man defiant, strong, and most of all one who would not cave to the changing winds emanating from the left leaning press blowholes.

Three questions permeating the barrage – I quote directly from the transcript:

Do you feel a sense of personal responsibility for September 11th?

And do you believe there were any errors in judgment that you made related to any of those topics I brought up? (WMD, Post war Iraq planning, pre-9-11 actions – added by the editor)

Do you believe the American people deserve a similar (to “Tiny” Dick Clarke) apology from you, and would you be prepared to give them one?

Stupid questions, coming from a very hostile, left bent press corps who didn’t even bother to try to hide its left leaning slide.

Years ago, I had a co-worker who had a quote posted in his cubicle. It said the following:

Never apologize. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies will use it against you.

W had some good answers for the above listed questions. The person responsible for the attacks, he stated, was Osama bin Laden. Period. End of question. As much as the press, and the democratic party would like to pin the blame on W and his underlings, the fact remains the planes were flown by AQ people.

No man (or woman for that matter) is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. To err is human. To crucify with 20/20 hindsight is an old, oft used, and seldom effective tool of inside the beltway gotcha politics. To admit to any mistake on national television would only serve to arm the adversary. W was wise to deflect the question.

As for an apology, I have these questions: To what end would it serve? What good would it do? Would it serve to soothe the pain of the victim’s families? I doubt it. Would an apology make us safer? Hardly. Would it weaken the image of the presidency? Yes. W has nothing to apologize for – except possibly irritating liberals to the point of insanity. Doubt this? Take a listen to Ted “Dude, where’s my scotch” Kennedy. The guy has truly flipped out.

Back to my original point. This campaign is going to be rough. There are many issues that will be brought up. Some are relevant, most are not. But if the man who took to the WTC rubble with a bull horn comes out swinging at Lurch, its going to be ugly – mostly because Lurch has a glass jaw.

Lurch, the wind is coming.

Here endeth the lesson.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple