"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Thursday, February 05, 2004
 
On John Kerry (Part 1 of the continuing saga):

Let me begin by saying I take the quotes below from a speech given by William F. Buckley, Jr. to the Corp of Cadets at the United States Military Academy at West Point on June 8, 1971. Being only a few months old on that date, I did not attend the event.

Regarding John Kerry’s military service, I have no criticism for a man who, according to his service record, exemplified the gallantry and courage associated with Naval officers in the face of enemy fire. He risked his life to save the lives of others and for that he was awarded medals and honors of which I have no doubt he merited at that time.

I am a child of the Vietnam era. My father was commissioned as an officer in the United States Army shortly before my birth (about the time Buckley gave this speech) and served honorably in many places for twenty-years. I grew up around the widows and fatherless children rendered so by the Vietnam War.

I do not intend to use this forum as a place in which to debate the Vietnam War. I will only say that America lost her first war because she would not let her soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines fight the war in a way in which it could be won. The war was lost in the halls of Congress and the corridors of the Pentagon – not in the rice paddies of Southeast Asia. Those, my friends, are facts. Facts are stubborn things.

I firmly believe John Kerry left whatever gallantry he gained in Vietnam on the field of battle. His public and personal life choices since that time show that. He made a big spectacle of throwing his ribbons over the White House fence in a show of defiance on behalf of all the veterans for whom he claimed to speak. Never mind the fact the actual medals hold a place of honor on the walls of his senate office. That, Lurch, is what we in the business call ‘hypocrisy’. You can’t burn the flag in one decade and then wrap yourself in it in the next.

John Kerry came home from Vietnam a hero. Fifteen minutes later he sullied his service, his comrades in arms, and his country by falsely accusing those with whom he fought and bled of committing war crimes at every opportunity. He past along anecdotal recollection as fact. Sorry, Lurch. Facts are stubborn things. If you ask me, and since its my blog I’ll answer anyway, you saw your opportunity for your fifteen minutes of fame and took it.

Thirty years and two rich widows later, Lurch is going to pay a heavy price for those fifteen minutes.

Here endeth the lesson.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple