"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Monday, November 03, 2003
 
On Zell Miller:

Senator Zell Miller (d-GA – note the little “D”) has done something really phenomenal. He has taken the democratic party to task on its many failings as a national party. If he was running in to represent me, I’d vote for him even though he sits on the opposite side of the aisle from my principles. He’s written a book “A National Party no more” in which he makes points I’m sure are felt by many mainstream democrats across the country.

He also has a column in the Wall Street Journal in which he endorses President Bush in the 2004 election. Now you can say he has nothing to lose by doing so because he’s leaving the Senate next year anyway. This is true, but the bridges Zell is burning are really shedding some light on the course of the Democrats as a party.

Zell says that he has “voted for Adlai Stevenson in 1952 and has voted for every Democratic presidential candidate the 12 cycles since then. My political history to the contrary, this was the easiest decision I think I've ever made in deciding who to support. For I believe the next five years will determine the kind of world my four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren will live in. I simply cannot entrust that crucial decision to any one of the current group of Democratic presidential candidates.”

I won’t try to add much to Zell’s comments. He has stated the truth far better than I can ever do. After all, I’m a Republican and damn proud of it. But if guys like Zell are effectively leaving the party because it has drifted so far to the left, the democratic party as an institution is in very serious trouble.

Here endeth the lesson.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple