"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, October 03, 2003
 
On Rush, and the media’s double and triple standard:

I am, by definition and unapologetically so, a football fan. I bleed BYU blue and Denver Bronco Orange, and every now and then some 49’er gold. That being said, I’m also a defensive lineman, therefore I pay little attention to quarterback ratings, yards per carry, and the other mind numbing stats associated with the world’s greatest game. I like to see it played, but I have long since given up trying to follow individual players.

That being said, I’m sad to see Rush Limbaugh depart ESPN. He gave a fan’s perspective and added slicing wit to the jock-ocracy that is the world of commentators today. Allen Barra posted a detailed column as to why Rush was right about Donovan McNabb. I happen to agree with them both. I say McNabb’s sorry performance on the first Monday Night game of the season. His game was off, and he didn’t get the job done. Period. Yet the media insist on hyping him as one of the game’s top field generals. Sorry guys, he’s not. If he was white you’d be ripping him to shreds. That’s the truth. If you can’t handle it, go cover some less competitive and forgiving sport – shuffleboard comes to mind.

As for the media’s double and sometimes triple standard, I will only say this: All speech is not treated freely nor fairly. For example – I personally think Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee and former (thank God) Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney are raging, blithering idiots that couldn’t find their collective asses with both hands and a searchlight. I cite one example to illustrate their extreme lack of anything resembling gray matter:

Jackson-Lee: When the Mars rover was sending back footage to JPL in Pasadena, Jackson-Lee was present – most likely for a photo op. She made the unfortunate mistake of opening her mouth and asking the head engineer when the rover would pan to the place where the astronauts planted the American Flag. You can imagine the uncomfortable silence followed by the explanation that astronauts had yet to visit MARS! Again, this only the most glaring one I can pick off the top of my head. Believe me, there are many, many more.

McKinney: In the days following September 11, a Saudi Prince came to New York. He presented Americas Mayor for Life Rudy Guilianni with a check for $10 million. Later, the Prince was quoted as hoping the attacks would make America realize the plight of the Palestinian people – roughly saying that America deserved to be attacked because of the way she treats the Palestinians. Rudy rightly tore up the check. Adam Sandler said it best when Operaman said “If you blame USA, stick your 10 million up your robe”:

McKinney, fresh from whatever planet she lives on, wrote a letter to the Prince, practically begging him to send her the $10 million, “to help the oppressed black people of America.” She wanted cash, and she was willing to forget the murder of 3,017 people to get it.

My point in citing these two examples? If I were to make them in any type of public forum, not thirty seconds would pass before the ACLU, NAACP, Jesse Jackson, and Louis Farrakan would demand my public execution. Not that they would try and defeat my arguments – that would be too hard because, well, I’ve done nothing but state the truth. They would demand my removal from the public square by calling me an insensitive, hate filled, racist.

Now, tell me good people, just where in my statements do you find anything racist?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple