"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, October 31, 2003
 
On Mustangs and the American Way:

I own a Ford Mustang. Not a classic one from the Lee Iacocca days at Ford – and by that I mean 1964-1969 models. Those were classic cars. Then, for some reason, Ford lost all sense of reason on the Mustang and entered into a dark period in American car making history. The Mustangs produced from 1970 to 1994 were truly mediocre at best.

In 1994 the inspiration began to return with the redesigned body style and has gotten progressively better with each passing year. My model is a black 1999, V6, five speed. Why Mustangs are made with automatic transmissions remains a mystery to me. I drive it, normally faster than the legal limit as often as I can.

Mustangs are required by the automobile space-time continuum to have an earsplitting stereo. To have otherwise would violate the principles upon which the American automobile exists. Why have I include this in my blog today? Because yesterday, in the bottom of a long forgotten box I found a tape I made in another lifetime – before the advent of CDs. This tape is entitled “Traveling Music”. On it you will find tunes from long forgotten bands like Def Leppard, Journey, Bad English, The Eagles, and others that I can’t even remember. The tape rocks.

Now, picture in your mind a Mustang roaring down a freeway thumping the Top Gun Anthem. Tell me, is there anything more inherently and undeniably American than that?

I think not.

Here endeth the lesson.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Mormon Temple